DO YOU KNOW THESE?
- Optimum Nutrition means "minimum risk of disease and maximum health" and thus maximum healthy life.
- Being in good shape is being in optimal health and feeling good.
- Good nutrition starts with yourself. Good nutrition habits at home, cafeteria or work is a part of healthy lifestyle.
- "Apple-shaped" bodies are riskier than "pear-shaped" bodies. Divide your waist circumference by your hip circumference. If the value you get is 1.0 and over think yourself as an apple, and if lower than 1.0 as a pear.
- For a healthy body weight, waist to hip ratio should be below 0.80 for women and 0.95 for men.
- By using your thumb and index finger, grab the middle part of your upper arm. If the distance between the two fingers is thicker than 2.5 centimetres it is highly probable that you are a fat person.
- Daily energy requirement is determined by various factors including age, basal metabolic rate, body mass and composition and level of physical activity.
- The cause of preventable mental retardation is iodine deficiency. Use iodized salt in your meals.
- Your daily salt consumption should not exceed 5 - 6 grams.
- Sea food is better for your health than red meat or chicken since they contain lesser fat and saturated fat.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can be found especially in such fish as mackerel, tuna and salmon which live in colder habitats.
- You will have adequate daily intake of Vitamin A if you consume a handful of sliced carrot.
- For healthy and permanent weight loss you should make the healthy nutrition habits a part of your life rather than seeking quick solutions.
- Best sources of antioxidant vitamins in diet are fruits and vegetables.
- A diet which will ensure healthy and permanent weight loss is the one which is followed after an overall check up, as advised by a dietitian according to age, weight, height, level of physical activity and nutrition habits.
- There is no such thing as "shock" or "miraculous" diet. What may be suggested as such will fall short of your daily energy requirement. It leads to muscular loss and dehydratation rather than expected fat loss.
- Quick and easy weight loss is an idea that can be hardly resisted especially by those who cannot undertake a lifetime behavioural change.